This is something very common in India, prepare a concoction of different oils and other ingredients to make a homemade ayurvedic hair oil that would be very effective for all hair related problems. In India make it a point for all girls to oil their hair atleast twice a week, they would put a particular oil on our scalp and massage it properly so that all the oil seeps into the scalp.
A good hot oil massage is so comforting and relaxing in such a stressful environment. Oiling your hair is really important for the health of your hair and today I realize how important it was to oil my hair regularly when I was a kid. I usually oil my hair at night or in the evening and let it sit on my scalp overnight. I wash my hair in the morning with a mild shampoo.
Let’s start with this DIY:
- 500 ml of Coconut Oil as a base.
- 15 Fresh Hibiscus Flowers and a handful of leaves.
- 3 Tbsp Fenugreek Seeds.
- 8-10 pieces of Fresh Indian Gooseberry. If you do not get the fresh ones you can add 3 Tbsp of Amla powder or Indian Gooseberry powder.
- 2 Tbsp of Henna Powder.
- Handful of Curry Leaves.
- 3 Tbsp of Bringraj Powder or a handful of fresh bringraj leaves.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pot.
- When it becomes hot add all the ingredients to the oil one by all.
- Let all the ingredients cook and sizzle in the oil for 20 minutes on low flame.
- Turn off the gas and let all the ingredients stay in the oil overnight.
- Strain the oil in the morning and store in a glass jar.
- Leave the glass jar in direct sunlight for atleast 2 days.
- After 2 days the oil is ready to use.
How to Apply the Magical Hair Oil:
- Detangle your hair and divide your hair in sections.
- Take the oil in a bowl and keep it in a pot of hot water for a few minutes.
- Take a cotton ball and start applying the hair oil on your scalp.
- Cover the scalp properly and whatever is left you can apply it to your hair length and hair ends.
- Now give yourself a good relaxing head massage for 5 minutes. Apply very little pressure while massaging.
- After the massage wrap your hair in a high bun and cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Leave the oil on your scalp for 3 hours to overnight. Leaving the oil in your hair overnight is the best thing you can do for your hair. I always leave the oil in my hair overnight.
- In the morning you can also apply a hot towel to open up the pores of your scalp. This is optional but do it atleast once a month.
- Wash off with any paraben and sulfate free shampoo.
- I do not feel the need to condition my hair after a hair massage, you can do so if you feel like.